Search This Blog

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Sandwiches and Superheroes

Hi everyone! Katie here. Basically, today's post is a recap of yesterday because it was definitely an interesting one.

We decided to order Jimmy John's for lunch because I've been bugging Kyle about it for like a week because I LOVE JIMMY JOHN'S. If you've never been there, it's a sandwich place and it is delicious. Kyle called and ordered the food to have it delivered to the apartment. Now... for a little background, let me tell you about the apartment door. Kyle has the door wired so that when he presses a button on the "clicker" the door opens automatically. The catch? You have 8 seconds to complete your mission before the door closes again. If someone else opens the door, they have to close it manually... Okay, now back to the story. So the delivery guy knocks on the door and I grab the money. As I'm making my way to the door, Kyle decides that I'm taking too long and opens the door himself. At this point, I'm standing directly behind Kyle (who oh so cleverly placed himself smack dab between me and the door), and the door opens to a delivery man who, by the look on his face, wasn't expecting a palsy to be behind the door. The look on his face read something like, "What is this creature??" So we all stood there rather awkwardly (Well, Kyle sat-- but just as awkwardly) for a few seconds. I decided that I should be the one to make the next move, since I had the money and seemed to be a little bit closer to what the guy was expecting when he knocked on the door. Now that I think about it though, he should have expected Kyle, considering there's a ramp outside the door, but anyways... I squeezed my way past Kyle, and just as I started to hand the poor guy his money, the damn door starts to close. I was standing on the outside of the door so it was basically closing and pushing me at the same time. I can tell by the look on the guys face that this is probably one of the hardest deliveries he's ever had to do as he attempts to hold the door open and mutters a slight "Oh!" But alas, a door wasn't going to stop me from getting my darn sandwich. Apparently I'm pretty strong, because I forced the door to stop closing with my butt. With more awkward stares, I hand Jimmy his money and he gives me my sandwiches. He asks if I want the change and I tell him to keep it, hoping this small token of appreciation will keep him from developing PTSD laced with palsy-phobia. I wiggle my way back inside, and the ordeal is over.

Later, we went to go see The Dark Knight Rises. This proved to be another adventure, as I really don't like to go to movies. You see, a lot of people with CP have a heightened startle response (which I have recently learned from another blogger ;]). This basically means that I jump a lot when I hear loud noises and stuff. Hence, the the movie theater is not my favorite place. So, Kyle asked his brother Corey to get me some ear plugs, hoping that he could still convince me to go to the movie. Once I got the ear plugs, I was still really skeptical because I tried to put them in my ears and they really didn't do much. Just as I was about to surrender to my anxieties and force Kyle to go to the movie without me, Corey saved the day! Apparently I was putting the earplugs in wrong. Once I followed Corey's instructions detailing proper earplug use, a solution was reached. So they really did work! And now I'm so happy because I can go see movies without having to worry. And I will always bring my lucky earplugs.

Just your average Friday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment